Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Artist Statement

My portfolio will illustrate all I have done in the past semester. I have taken many photos but only a few have made it to my portfolio. I am quite pleased with what I have accomplished this first semester. I walked in to this class not knowing how to work photo shop, and not knowing what that little flower on a camera was for. But now I am no longer a Photoshop virgin. I am quite pleased with the work I have put into my portfolio. It just screams out Carina. After looking at my online portfolio I am surprised with the work I have done. So far this past semester I have learned different compositional tricks. Such as leading lines, macro, crop, extreme angles and depth of field.
Now when I take a photo I take these compositional tricks into consideration. Not only when I’m working on a project but when I take photos at home or when I’m traveling. This class no only has educated me in photo shop but it taught me to look at the word with a new eye. I don’t see things the same anymore. Everyone and everything is so beautiful in its own way. Like one of the quotes posted on one of the class room walls, “Look at the world as though tomorrow you’d be stricken blind.” And on the other wall it says, “I shut my eyes on order to see.” These are only a couple of few really nice quotes on the wall.
There have been a few things that I have struggled with, photo shop was one and coming up with an idea for a project was another. The difficulty of coming up with an idea depended on the project. The hardest project for me would have to be the Haunted Chavez assignment. Even though it was difficult to think of an idea, it came out ok.
In the future I hope to improve in my photo shop skills. By browsing the program and just playing around with the different things it has. I will also try harder to improve on my idea skills.

1 comment:

Miss Cook said...

Carina, I have really enjoyed having you in class this semester. I love reading your writing, and experiencing your work. I think your social issue is my favorite. I love it. I think its honest, and powerful, and clever... all put together. I really appreciate all the hard work you put into class. It shows in your work. Keep the brilliant ideas coming.